The Heart Health course actively guides your students in learning lessons in English and Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, Social Studies, Arts & Music and P.E. Students will understand and obtain a balanced message about eating sensibly, becoming physically active, and practicing healthy behaviors, leading to lifelong behavior changes that will help them grow into healthier, safer and more effective citizens.
FIRST GRADE GLEs
- Describe the heart as an “involuntary” muscle that keeps working all the time
- Explain that the heart brings oxygen and fuel (food) to the rest of the body
- Listen to and identify heartbeats
- Locate the pulse and count beats before and after exercising
- List three ways to keep the heart strong: (a) regular physical activity, (b) eat a variety of foods and (c) breathe smoke-free air (don’t smoke)
SECOND GRADE GLEs
- State the location of the heart and its function
- Describe the basics of the circulatory system
- State three important rules for good heart health
THIRD GRADE GLEs
- Preform a new and developmentally appropriate exercise routine
- Explain the vital role of the heart and the way in which the lungs enhance the work of the heart
- State four important rules of good heart health
- Identify ways to handle negative peer pressure by following good heart health rules
- Receive positive feedback for participating in activities involving physical activity and good nutrition
- Lectures 21
- Quizzes 0
- Skill level 1st - 3rd Grade
- Students 0
- Assessments Self
Grade 1: Keeping My Heart Strong
The 1st Grade Keeping My Heart Strong lesson is broken down into 4 sections. The 4 sections are as follows: Five n' Jive "Get Up Now and Exercise", Heart Basics, Listening to Heartbeats and Listening/Exercising Pulse, Cool Down Five n' Jive and Closing.
Grade 2: Head Start on a Healthy Heart
The 2nd Grade Head Start on a Healthy Heart lesson is broken down into 4 sections. The 4 sections are as follows: Five n' Jive "Strong and Weak Habits", Heart Basics, The Circulation Walk, Cool Down Five n' Jive and Closing.
Grade 3: Rules for Good Heart Health
The 3rd Grade Rules for Good Heart Health lesson is broken down into 5 sections. The 5 sections are as follows: Five n' Jive Fitness Card "Walking Lunges", Getting Reacquainted with Heart Healthy Rules, How the Lunges Help or Hurt the Heart, Peer Pressure and Heart Health Rules, Collecting Bingo Cards and Closing.